Have fun with festive ideas to celebrate Happy Cinco de Mayo for kids… and the whole family! Cinco de Mayo is a holiday celebrated to mark the Mexican Army’s victory over France in a Franco-Mexican War in 1862. We’ve rounded up some of our favorite ways to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with kids!
Cinco de Mayo for kids
Read on to learn about Cinco de Mayo history, food traditions, decorations, kids activities, celebrations and more… let’s have fun!
What is Cinco de Mayo?
Many think that May 5th is Mexico’s Independence Day. Not so (this day will be on the 16th)th). Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican-American holiday celebrated primarily in the United States and parts of Mexico, commemorates the Mexicans’ victory over France at the Battle of Puebla.
The story of May 5th for children
- Read more about the Battle of Puebla, how long it lasted etc Story
- Learn fun Cinco de Mayo facts for kids like… Did you know that around 70 million pounds of avocados are eaten during Cinco de Mayo in the United States?
- Learn how people in Mexico actually celebrate May 5th Business Insider
- These 15 Cinco De Mayo traditions will help get the party started Reader’s Digest
Cinco de Mayo Crafts for Kids & Free Printables
1. Kids will love these Cinco de Mayo coloring pages
Have fun with these Cinco de Mayo coloring pages for kids. These are the best coloring pages for your May 5th celebration or in the classroom to learn about this Mexican holiday!
2. Build a cardboard guitar for Cinco de Mayo
Make your own cardboard guitar crafts our children’s things
3. DIY Cinco de Mayo Pinata Craft
What would a party be without a pinata? Make this easy paper plate piñata that’s colorful and super easy to make.
4. Make egg maracas for Cinco de Mayo
Shake! Shake! and make music with these Easter eggs made from maracas Made with Dana every day
5. Make the Mexican flag with children
Make these easy and fun Mexican flag crafts for Cinco de Mayo from the Kids Activities Blog
May 5 crafts for kids & DIY decorations
6. Make paper flower decorations together
Decorate your fiesta room with DIY Mexican paper flowers made from colorful tissue paper.
7. Make sombrero place cards for your celebration
Get your guests seated with this DIY sombrero place card holder Pretty smart blog
Decorate your fiesta with a fun DIY taco banner from club made
Make this Traditional Mexican Folk Art Paper Banner – DIY Papel Picado from the Kids Activities Blog
10. Set your table festively on the 5th
Get inspired on how to set your table for Fiesta Toot sweet 4 two
Cinco de Mayo Recipes Kids Love
11. Make Mole Poblano
Try the iconic Cinco de Mayo dish – mole poblano Mexico in my kitchen
12. Make a Cinco de Mayo inspired casserole
Looking for good food to celebrate? Try this Taco Tater Tots Casserole or Chicken Enchilada Casserole that will get your kids thinking about the Kids Activities Blog
13. Get inspired by Mexican food
Check out these delicious Tex-Mex recipes to prepare a variety of food for your party via the Kids Activities Blog
14. Make our favorite taco recipe
Make this delicious alternative to your regular tacos for a special dinner – Crockpot Shredded Beef Tacos via the Kids Activities Blog
Get the party started with this easy dessert – sombrero cookies out Jenny Cookie
More Cinco De Mayo recipes, activities and ideas from the Kids Activities Blog
How do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo with kids?