Today we have fun facts about China for kids of all ages! The most populous country in the world has many interesting facts. Not only will you learn about the overall population, but you will also learn other Chinese facts about the country’s long history.
China facts for kids
- China, officially the Republic of China, is one of the oldest civilizations and currently a country in East Asia with a land mass of 3,700,000 square miles – almost the size of the United States!
- China is the most populous country in the world with 1.4 billion people, 56 ethnic groups and as many as 35 million living in caves.
- The Chinese New Year lasts 16 days and begins with the new moon that appears between January 21st and February 20th.
- The People’s Republic of China is home to many animal species, such as the giant panda, Tibetan macaque, giant salamander and over 400 species of reptiles.
- The highest mountain in the world, Mount Everest lies between the China-Nepal border and has an elevation of 29,000 feet.
- The Forbidden City was built in Beijing to consolidate Ming Emperor Zhu Di’s imperial power and protect his security.
- The Chinese language is the most widely spoken in the world and one of the oldest still in use today.
- The country has two special administrative regions, Hong Kong and Macau, which are largely independent from China.
- Although China is almost as wide as the continental United States, the whole country is officially in just one time zone.
- Chinese have been using chopsticks to cook and eat Chinese food for over 3,000 years.
- Offering older generations a cup of tea from younger generations is a way of showing respect for the elders in China.
- The Yangtze River is the longest river in China and the third longest in the world, flowing 3915 miles across the country.
Bonus Fun Facts about China:
- Chinese history is very rich. Ancient China spans 1800 years; There were three main dynasties including the Qin Dynasty and this is when the first sections of the Great Wall of China were built (UNESCO World Heritage Site).
- China has five autonomous regions: Guangxi, Inner Mongolia, Ningxia, Tibet and Xinjiang. They have their own local government but under Chinese law.
- Chinese mythology is very important to Chinese culture, for example only the emperor could wear clothes with images of the dragon as it was a symbol of power.
- The Chinese population is so large that it accounts for almost a third of the world’s population.
- China’s railway lines are so extensive and long that they could circle the earth twice.
- The ancient Chinese were the first people to drink tea, although it was mainly used as a medicine.
This article contains affiliate links.
ACCESSORIES FOR COLORING SHEETS FROM CHINA FACTS
These fun facts about China coloring pages are the size of a standard letter printer paper Dimensions – 8.5 x 11 inches.
This PDF file contains two coloring pages with fun facts about China not to be missed. Print out as many sets as you need and give them to friends or family!
PRINTABLE CHINA FACTS DOWNLOAD PDF
MORE FUN FACTS COLORING PAGES FROM THE KIDS ACTIVITY BLOG
What was your favorite China fact?