What kid doesn’t love koala bears? Which, by the way, aren’t even bears! Let’s learn some koala facts for your koala loving kids.
We’ve packed these fun facts about koalas into two printable coloring pages so kids can color while learning about these furry friends. These worksheets are perfect for kids in kindergarten, elementary school and older, even adults.
12 facts about koalas
How much do you know about koalas? There’s so much to learn about them, so let’s make it fun!
- The koala is a small, furry marsupial native to eastern Australia. They are gray with small black eyes and small cottony tails.
- Even if we call it a koala bear, it’s not a bear. With their sharp claws, they climb eucalyptus trees and rarely leave them, as trees are the koala’s typical habitat.
- Koalas are marsupials, meaning female koalas have a pouch to hold their baby koala. They can also hold on to their mother’s back.
- The word koala means “no drink” or “no water” in one of the Australian aboriginal languages.
- Koalas feed on eucalyptus leaves and some other related tree species. They prefer the best leaves, those on the tallest trees.
- After birth, koala joeys usually remain in their mother’s pouch for warmth and protection until they are six months old.
- An adult koala will seek out a new home range far from home, although its home range can sometimes overlap with other koalas.
- They’re picky eaters, so they use their big black nose to make better food choices before they taste them.
- The koala can sleep up to 18 or even 20 hours a day on tree forks.
- Koalas are near extinction. It is estimated that the number of koalas in the wild is fewer than 100,000.
- Baby koalas are born earless, hairless and blind, but they have an innate sense of direction that helps them return to their mother’s pouch.
- Koalas have fingerprints similar to humans.
Download Koala Facts as a printable PDF
Koala Facts Coloring Page
RECOMMENDED PAINT SUPPLIES FOR YOUR KOALA FACT SHEETS
MORE PRINTABLE FACTS FROM THE KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG:
What was your favorite koala fact?